ABOUT THE THEATERS
Pittsburgh Filmmakers operates three movie theaters in the Pittsburgh area that feature alternatives to the multiplex – American indies, documentaries, and first-run foreign films, as well as an ongoing weekly series of popular classics. All three theaters are equipped to project 16mm, 35mm, and digital. For current film descriptions and showtimes, click here, or call the hotline at: 412-682-4111.
MELWOOD SCREENING ROOM
This modern venue was built in 1995 as part of extensive renovations that converted an urban warehouse into attractive headquarters for Filmmakers' administrative offices, its classrooms, and art galleries. Located on the second floor, it shares a lobby, concession area, and gallery space; available to rent for meetings and small parties. (Contact Laura Jean Kahl for details.) Free parking is available in the evening at an outdoor lot directly across the street, or on the street. The Melwood Screening Room is in close proximity to Carnegie Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh and Chatham University. It seats 130. Map & Directions
The Harris is named after Pittsburgh businessman John P. Harris, who was recognized as the first man in the world to open a Motion Picture theater. The Harris opened as Avenue Cinema in 1931 and featured “continental pictures.” When it premiered Carl Dreyer's “La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc” in 1935, it changed to the Art Cinema, a name it kept for more than 50 years. But by the 1960s the Art Cinema was part of the city's red-light district and it became an adult movie theater. Purchased in the early 90s by The Cultural Trust as part of a strategic cultural renaissance, The Harris has been programmed and operated by Pittsburgh Filmmakers since 1995. It is the only movie theater in downtown Pittsburgh and operates seven days a week. Parking is available in nearby lots and at meters; many restaurants and art galleries are nearby. It seats 200. Map & Directions
REGENT SQUARE THEATER
One of the last remaining single-screen neighborhood theaters in the region, this popular arthouse – built in 1938 – is surrounded by funky shops, restaurants, cafes, bars, and an art gallery. Old-timers fondly remember going to see movies like “The Day the Earth Stood Still,” or “Vertigo” at the original theater – a tradition that continues with the Sunday night classic film series. The theater was purchased by Pittsburgh Filmmakers in 1998, and two years later a “phase one” renovation project began with 300 new theater seats – adding extra legroom. More renovation is planned for The Regent Square, including expanded restrooms and lobby. Free parking is available on South Braddock Avenue or on nearby residential streets. Map and Directions